To many, there’s nothing better than having friends and family sitting around a fire, recollecting memories and just whiling away time. The fire is rather warm and comforting, especially during cool nights.
You don’t need a campfire for this warmth because there are now so many types and styles of outdoor fire pits you can buy for your home. They are not only affordably priced, but they are easy to use, and make a welcome addition to any outdoor area like the patio.
These outdoor fire pits are safe to use, meaning there’s no need to worry about burning grass or running your landscaping. But with so many models and types to make your choice from, it’s worth learning a little bit about these pits before buying one. This buying guide and reviews aim to assist you by providing all the information for a safe and logical choice.
|Picture||Name||Product Dimensions||Item Weight||Price|
|Double Flame Patio Fire Pit||22 x 22 x 16 inches||42 pounds|
|Landmann USA 28905||40 x 40 x 23 inches||20 pounds|
|Heininger 5995||19.2 x 19.2 x 11.5 inches||22 pounds|
|Sunnydaze Fire Pit||36 x 36 x 24 inches||29 pounds|
|Landmann 28345||29.5 x 29.5 x 23 inches||28.5 pounds|
|Landmann 26364||28.5 x 25 x 24.2 inches||22 pounds|
|DeckMate Luna||24 x 24 x 19.7 inches||24 pounds|
|Outland Fire Table||32 x 44 x 23 inches||96 pounds|
|Solo Stove Bonfire||19.5 x 19.5 x 14 inches||20 pounds|
Best Outdoor Fire Pit Reviews 2018
The pit has double stainless steel walls that heat up the air in between the walls and rises to the top to flow out of rim holes. The air at the top then mixes and re-burns with smoke to reduce the amount of smoke produced.
The stainless steel used for the pit may be thick and heavy, but it’s built to withstand the rust and corrosion for as long as 15 years. So in other words, this is a long-lasting investment for your money.
This Double Flame Stainless Steel Wood-Burning, Smokeless Patio Fire Pit comes from Breeo Industries, the company known for developing the first smoke-reducing, wood-burning fire pit.
It weighs only 42 lbs and is thus portable to carry anywhere to your patio, backyard, beach, campsite or any other outdoor venue. You can buy an additional 15” wide, stainless steel, alterable, swing-away grill with a heat-resistant handle and create wonderful memories with your friends and family. With its patented double combustion system, the pit cooks food evenly with enhanced flavor and reduced smoke.
The Landmann USA 28905 Sky Fire Pit not only adds warmth to your backyard but has stylish cut-outs that create a warm and special aura with its designs. The pit itself spans 36” in diameter, is made of strong steel and easily assembled
The fire bowl has a handle across its diameter to easily carry the bowl with you. Besides, as its bowl-shaped, the pit generates 360° view of the fire and gives you 40% more cooking or burn space than other fire pits.
The fire pit has a fire iron to keep the fire burning for as long as needed, and a full cover spark guard for your family’s protection while using the pit. This pit gives you about 962 square inches of cooking area, meaning it comfortably fits most backyards.
The unique feature of this fire pit is its star and moon cut-outs that add a decorative touch by beautifying your yard with the burning fire. The large cooking and burn space, and the fact that this is an affordably priced, durable and portable fire pit, make it a worthy choice for those on a budget.
- Durable steel construction
- Decorative moon and star cut-outs beautify the surroundings
- Large 36” bowl providing 962 square inches of cooking and burn apace
- A full diameter handle makes carrying the pit where required so easy
- Easily assembled
- Has a fire iron and full cover, black spark guard
- Offers 40% more cooking space than regular fire pits
- Affordably priced
- Spark cover easily rusts
- Cooking cover and grate have to be bought separately
- Paint may chip off with time
- Mesh top is not the best in the industry
- Not waterproof
The next time you plan to go tailgating, the Heininger 5995 Portable Propane Fire Pit is worth taking along with you. There’s no worry of emitting any smoke while cooking, and it’s lightweight to carry wherever you want.
This outdoor propane fire pit generates the right amount of heat to warm up not only your tailgating party but also to light up the next camping or beach trip. You can also use it in your backyard, and one regular propane tank radiates 58,000 BTU of heat, sufficient to keep your entire family warm through the night.
While the propane tank is not included, the fire pit includes a ten-foot propane tank hose that keeps your fire pit at a safe distance from the propane tank. The inclusive decorative lava rocks may not be functional, but they do create a pleasing visual appeal as you enjoy the pit’s dancing flames and warmth.
The outdoor propane fire pit is comfortably wide with a 19” diameter. There’s no need of constantly moving the fire pit around based on the wind’s direction because it burns without producing any smoke.
And most important, anyone can set up the pit and use it. There is no need of struggling with firewood and fire starters or have any fire-building skills get a fire started. Just connect the pit to the fuel tank, and you are ready!
- Ideal pit to use while tailgating or camping, at the beach or in backyards and patios
- Easy to start without any fuss, mess or fire-building skills
- Produces 58,000 BTU of clean and smokeless fire and heat
- 19” diameter fire pit usable in all weathers
- Includes a 10-foot hose
- Portable and easy to carry around as required
- Affordably priced
- Some complaints of using too much fuel
- Complaints of not creating sufficient warmth
- Too much of propane smell making it difficult to sit near it
The Sunnydaze 36” Bronze Fire Pit with Spark Screen is ideal to use for a romantic evening with your partner or just to hang out with family and friends around a crackling fire. The fire not only warms the atmosphere but is also relaxing.
The 36” wide, 11” deep and 24” high fire pit is attractively designed with a cross-weaved pattern. It is so easy to assemble. You just have to attach its three legs and external rim, place it on a fireproof pad and it’s ready to use.
You can comfortably and safely place the fire fire iron on its external rim when not in use. Or you can use the rim to change the fire pit's location. The pit includes a spark screen for added safety, a cover to prolong its life and a fire pit tool for removing the spark screen and for moving logs.
The bowl is made of steel but finished with oil rubbed bronze paint for added looks, functionality and durability. The included open mesh sides and wood grate keeps oxygen flowing through it for a continuously and consistently burning fire.
- Weighs only 29 pounds and is portable
- Steel bowl with a 36” diameter
- Oil rubbed bronze paint finish enhances its durability, quality, and functionality
- Wood grate and open mesh sides give a constant and continual fire
- Perfect for an evening in the yard or patio with friends or family
- Comes with spark screen, all-weather cover and fire pit tool
- Easy to assemble
- Cross weave design adds a modern touch of beauty to the fire pit
- Has a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- Wood burning fire pit
- Made in China
- Poor quality fire pit
- Too thin steel that’s easily distorted
- Too short and thin fire pit tool
- The grate is made of cheap, painted metal
- Average grill cover
- Paint tends to peel off with use
Sitting around a campfire with perhaps the Landmann 28345 black fire pit may provide the natural writing inspiration you crave. The warmth of the crackling fire, the surrounding nature sounds and of course, the smell and beauty of nature all trigger ideas for your writing.
In addition to natural inspiration, the Landmann fire pit comes with two big cut-outs shaped like a moon and stars to create a more attractive aura with the fire. The fire bowl with a black finish spans 23 ½ inches in diameter and is strongly built of steel.
There is a safety ring that’s as large as its full diameter, making it so much easier to carry the bowl to the beach, campsite, and yard or go tailgating. The ring can also be used as a footrest while you enjoy the fire.
The fire bowl includes a large, cooking metal frame made of enamel, and fire iron to use to keep the fire burning. It also has a spark screen for protection from any potential random sparks while enjoying the fire, and stars and moon design cutouts.
- Durably built using strong and sturdy steel with a black finish
- The safety ring makes it convenient to carry the firepit wherever required
- A cooking grate, spark screen, and fire iron accompanies the fire pit
- Largely sized fire pit that is 23 ½ inches wide, 23 inches high and weighs 35 pounds
- Attractive moon and large star cut-outs create an enthralling aura
- Perfect to use in any backyard patio, deck, RV or at a camping site or beach
- Easy to assemble
- Paint tends to peel off with use
- Complaints of receiving a disfigured fire pit
The black Landmann 26364 Savannah Garden Fire Pit measures 23 ½ inches in diameter. It is designed as a fire box, with attractive cut-outs on its sides. These cut-outs create a different ambiance at night when the light of the fire passes through it.
It is rather large in size but is easy to assemble. The body is made of strong steel with decorative ring handles placed on its sides. The rings make it easy to carry the fire pit from one place to another as per your needs.
The fire pit has a spark screen that is helpful at containing unnecessary sparks. The four decorative legs offer ample support to the fire pit when in use. And the fire iron proves useful for moving the wood pieces to make sure that the fire stays for a longer time. The fire pit is safe to use as long as there is some sand at the bottom for spreading out the heat, before placing fire logs.
- Well designed and easy to assemble and handle
- Decorative rings on its sides for easy transport
- The attractive cut-outs on the sides of the firebox improve the night’s ambiance
- Inclusive of an attractive spark screen, fire iron, and four legs
- 23 ½ inch sides offer a 360° view of the fire
- Durable and strong steel fire pit weighing 28 pounds
- Does not corrode for more than a year if stored outdoors under a waterproof cover
- User manual in both English and Spanish
- Legs are too short and can get hot, making it unsafe to use on composite decking
- Manufacturer-installed screws for the cover guard are not even in length
- The burning of wood produces carbon monoxide which can get lethal without ventilation
The DeckMate Luna Outdoor Firebowl makes a beautiful housewarming, wedding and Father’s Day gift. It helps create lots of memories when you and your family gather around the fire bowl, enjoying the crackling flames and fire sounds.
The 24 pounds fire bowl quickly converts your dull, outdoor living space into a welcome party spot, thanks to the star and moon cut-outs illuminating the base. Not only is its fire beckoning, these fire bowls have detailed designs embedded in it during the construction process.
It’s possible to burn both wood and artificial logs in this steel fire bowl that has a high-temperature paint finish. While you can enjoy the fire’s 360° view, the accompanying fine wire mesh helps contain embers.
Assembling the fire bowl is a cinch following the included pictorial instructions, and using a screwdriver. Maintenance is easily done by washing with some mild detergent and water and then leaving it to dry. It’s always better to start the fire with small wood pieces and paper, and then gradually add larger pieces.
The fire bowl is safe to use only outdoors, and on a non-combustible surface like an insulated fireproof pad or 24” x 24” concrete pavers. Not meant for use on wooden patios. The fire bowl has a fire tool to use for lifting the spark screen.
- Made of steel with a high-temperature paint finish
- Offers a 360° fire view while star and moon cut-outs light up the base
- A restraining fine wire mesh contains the embers
- Includes log grate, fire tools, spark screen and fine wire mesh
- Burns both wood and artificial logs for fuel
- A thoughtful gift for many occasions
- Easy to assemble, use and maintain
- Need to know how to start a fire to use it
- Not safe to use on wood patios
- Should be placed on an insulated fireproof pad or concrete pavers when in use
- Craftsmanship not up to the mark
The Bail Outdoors 28” Square Table Propane Gas Fire Pit is so well-designed, it adds some elegance and sophistication to your outdoor area. It is a 25” tall and 28” wide table top that easily keeps you and your family and friends warm in cool surroundings.
The outdoor propane fire pit is not just a fire pit, but an elegant centerpiece for your outdoor patio or yard. It’s steel base and table design is both durable and visually appealing. Not only is there enough space to hold a 20lb gas tank, and other accessories, the extra space promotes air combustion.
Electronic ignition feature requires only the push of a button to start the 50,000 BTU stainless steel burners. There is also a safety valve for added security. The hidden control panel adds to the fire pit’s fashion and elegance. While the 20lb LP tank is not included, the outdoor fire pit table comes with lava rocks which are easy to use to preserve heat with thermal insulation.
- Elegant and fashionable in appearance
- Easy fire ignition at the push of a button
- Hidden control panel enhances its looks
- Included lava rocks convincingly preserve heat for optimal thermal insulation
- Includes a 50,000 BTU stainless steel burner
- 70 pounds table top is 25” tall and 28” wide and long
- Durable and attractive steel base and table design
- Sufficient space to contain a 20 lb fuel tank
- Legs are wobbly because of mismatched holes
- Flame sometimes does not ignite automatically and needs a lighter for manual ignition
- Sharp edges and corners are dangerous
It’s not surprising that the Outland Aluminum Propane Fire Table won a silver medal for outdoor patio furniture. It is so stunningly designed with the center filled with Arctic Ice decorative glass rocks and a fortified, black glass tabletop that reflects the dancing flames. The warmth of the fire makes cold nights seems so cozy, making it an ideal outdoor centerpiece.
The stainless steel burner emits 35,000 BTU of heat through a clean and smokeless flame that anyone can start with its auto-ignition. The outdoor fire pit table is CSA approved and thus safe to use even during most fire bans because you can control the flame height and lighting. User-friendly access doors with chrome pull rings let you turn off the tank from both sides of the table.
The powder-coated aluminum frame and expresso brown wicker base of the fire table complements most patio furniture. It’s also ideal to use in any outdoor space like patio, poolside or backyard. A fortified clear glass lid insert and wind fence, and a black color waterproof soft cover are available as separate accessories.
- Work of art with central Arctic Ice glass rocks and 8mm fortified black glass tabletop
- Designs complement most outdoor furniture used in most outdoor spaces
- CSA approved and safe to use during most fire bans with its smokeless and clean flame
- Easily assembled within 30 minutes
- Includes 3ft gas pipe and regulator, stainless steel burner and burn pan and Arctic Ice glass rock set
- Accessories like wind fence and soft cover available separately
- Rather heavy
- Glass parts need special care and may crack in transit
The Solo Stove Bonfire is modernistic in design and functionality with an efficient combustion airflow system, and its extraordinary, long-lasting, stainless steel construction design.
The fire pit burns firewood logs and is 19.5” wide, 14” tall and lightweight at 20 pounds. No assembly is required at all because there are no parts in the design. This makes it easy to carry the outdoor fire pit around and set up wherever you want with your friends.
It is its double wall design that maximizes the airflow for secondary combustion and a complete burning process. Oxygen feeds the fire by entering the unit through vent holes at the bottom and guides the warm oxygen up between the walls and into the fire.
This completes burning process produces minimal or no smoke and uses much less wood than normal. While any firewood can be used, dry hardwoods like maple, oak, and birch provide optimal heating efficiency because they burn longer than softwoods.
- Most unique fire pit designed based on a patented design
- Maximizes heating efficiency with its double combustion airflow burning efficiency
- Built using premium grade 304 and 430 stainless steel
- Completely burns wood with minimal or no smoke at all
- No wastage of firewood because logs completely burn
- The absence of smoke lets you enjoy the fire and ambiance of the campfire
- No assembly required and is easy to use and carry around
- Does not disperse heat well
- The bottom is not removable, making cleaning a chore
- Tends to warp and rust within a few months of use
- Sheet metal is a bit too thin
Benefits of outdoor fire pits
The obvious benefit of an outdoor fire pit is the romance it creates while snuggling up in its warmth. However, they are also great to use at outdoor fall parties, while roasting marshmallows with the family or friends or to relax and enjoy the cool nights.
Another benefit is that you just have to get the pit going to enjoy its warmth and then don’t worry about maintaining the right sized fire. This means the fire can be prevented from getting out of control, making it safe and ideal for any outdoor gathering for its warmth.
Different types of outdoor fire pits
Outdoor fire pits’ sole purpose is to provide some warmth and comfort while outdoors. No matter what fuel is used, its 360° flames create a traditional campfire’s ambiance. There are various types of fire pits for your yard differentiated depending on the type of fuel used, its looks, portability and design like if it’s a classic, wood or gas fire pit.
These fire pits include:
Gas fire tables and its pros and cons
These are pits that come with a table and are a rather contemporary fire pit option. These outdoor fire pit tables come in various sizes and designs, ensuring a table for most tastes.
The main difference in the tables lies in its design, and table height. The 23” tables are small like outdoor coffee table fire pits, and then there are 28” dining tables with sufficient for a group of friends and even higher bar tables with a height of 35”.
These outdoor fire pit tables have a central fire burning that creates a focal point of beauty for chatter, warmth, and coziness. Then, of course, the table top works as a central entertainment piece.
- Contemporary designs perfect for creating a classical ambiance in modern homes.
- Burning fire is its center of attention
- Tabletop works as an entertainment centerpiece
- Various sizes, shapes, and styles comply with most tastes and choices
- Like any gas fire pit, the gas tank needs refueling once empty
Wood fire pits and its pros and cons
Wood fire pits are the easiest to install, and perfect for the traditionalist. It is easy to use because it burns wood to create heat. It’s usually in a metal, concrete or stone enclosure that the wood is burnt.
- Simplistic in design without gas lines or moving parts obstructing its operation.
- Fire produces offers optimal heat and flame presence
- Available in most places and best for the budget-conscious
- The natural ambiance and warmth produced by the fire is unmatchable
- Need more maintenance and labor to use
- Need to continuously add wood to the fire to keep it burning.
- Needs regular cleaning and maintenance because of waste embers and ash
- Fuel wood may not be easily available in some regions
Gas-fueled fire pits and its pros and cons
If you don’t like the idea of having a wood fire, why not try gas-fueled pits? It so easily creates a quick and safe fire once connect to a natural gas or propane source. There is no worry or tension of building a fire with woods in propane outdoor fire pits.
Outdoor gas fire pits are more modernistic in design and convenient in its approach and use. It is also relatively safe to use because you can control the fire. These fire pits are also rather versatile and ideal for use with various fire media like fire glass, lava rock, and ceramic log sets.
- Convenient to use with minimal labor, by just connecting to a gas source
- Controllable, medium-sized flames make it much safer than wood burning fire pits
- Controlled fire makes it apt for use in condos, suburbs, and apartments
- Clean burning without any foul burning smell
- Works out cheap in the long run because it does not need too much firewood
- The fuel tank needs constant refueling to prevent a dwindling fire because of an empty fuel tank
Tabletop fire pits and its pros and cons
These fire pits are a more portable variety when compared to the gas fire tables. Like any fire pit, they are cozy and comfortable, but in a more cost-effective means. But the unique feature of this fire pit is that it is portable enough to place on top of a table to enjoy its heat and comfort.
And instead of having gas as its fuel, these fire pits are gel fueled. They are safe to use both indoors and outdoors for improved ambiance and comfort with its clean and odorless burning. No necessity of any gas connections.
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Odorless, clean-burning fuel
- Creates an ambient and comfortable atmosphere
- Uniquely placed atop tables when in use
- Takes up your existing table space
Fire urns are intricately designed to create a unique atmosphere in your patio and backyards. They are gas powered fire pits which unlike the traditional, decorative urns, have a superior burner with beautiful, tall flames. The decorations and high-quality functional gas burner complement each other.
- A unique combination of beauty and functionality
- Enhances any patio’s or backyard’s ambiance
- The fuel tank has to be checked and refilled as needed
Portable campfire pits
This portable option is perfect for regular campers and those who prefer having a better control over the fire. Small propane tanks render portable propane outdoor fire pits lightweight. Though small, they sufficiently light and warm surroundings and roast marshmallows without too much mess.
- Portable and perfect to carry around
- Ideal to carry on camping trips
- Can be used to warm the place, and cook food
- May not be warm enough for a large group of people
- May not cook large amounts of food
- Small tank requires constant refilling
These traditionally wrought iron fire bowls don’t need any gas for fuel. They are small and portable to place and use anywhere you want in the yard. A wood-burning fire is easily created without any hassles or mess. The crackling sound of wood burning can get rather nostalgic and add a touch of tradition to the fire pit.
- Traditional wood burning fire
- Portable and convenient to use wherever required
- Safe to use without any fears of triggering unwanted fires
- Needs more maintenance for removing accumulated burnt ash
- Need to keep on adding wood for fuel
DIY outdoor fire pits and pros and cons
DIY outdoor fire pits are ideal for those on a budget, and for people who are constantly traveling. They are more affordably priced, and can even work out much cheaper than a finished product. They are available as outdoor fire pit kits which are easy to assemble with its instructions and instructional videos.
Whatever the design may be, most outdoor fire pit kits come with the same parts for creating a customized gas fire pit. With so many shapes and sizes of these pits available, there are no limits to customizing a unique fire pit for you
- Affordably priced
- Usually cheaper than completed products
- Instructions and videos provide for easy installation
- An endless number of choices for designing and building a unique fire pit
- Ideal for frequent travelers
- Though easy to install, the gas connections should be made by a professional
Features of best fire pits
You not only have to consider the pit’s size and style, but there are also various other features to check out before buying the best outdoor fire pit for yourself. These features include:
Outdoor heating pits are made using so many different types of materials like copper, wrought iron, stone, and ceramic. The pits made of high-quality materials like copper and iron are longer-lasting and tend to retain heat better and longer than other materials.
Though ceramic and stone fire pits are rather popular for its looks, they are not very long-lasting. The stainless steel outdoor fire pits may be expensive, but they offer the advantage of being rain and rust-resistant, and easy to clean.
If you want to do some cooking on the outdoor fire pit, then look for pits with added features like grills and windows. You can then easily cook, roast and BBQ food on them during your family and friends’ get-togethers. Some pits come with screens which help restrict sparks and embers from flying around. Then there are other pits that have vinyl covers for protection from elements when in storage.
- Open or closed pits
You have to decide if you want an open or closed pit based on your personal choice. While the open ones give you a natural campfire feeling, they do not retain heat as well as the closed pits like bowls. So while your personal taste does play an important part in making your choice, the heating efficiency is another point to bear in mind.
While a large pit may seem ideal for your large friends’ gatherings, it should fit into your yard. There is no point in buying a large pit if you have a small garden or outdoor space as a 40-45” diameter pit will take up lots of space. A better option will be a fire bowl or pit measuring about 20-25” in diameter, especially if you want something portable. Large, stationary pits fit best in large backyards.
- Type of fuel
Most of the pits burn wood logs, pellet or even charcoal, which is a favorite with many because of the natural crackle and warmth it emits. However, they are not as portable and convenient to use as propane and gas fuelled pits. They are also comparatively difficult to start and are thus dangerous.
The fire pits that run on gas tanks are usually box-shaped and have an access point for easy replacement and changing of fuel tanks. Outdoor gas fire pits are also rather easy to start and stop and don’t create much of a mess. However, these pits don’t emit any naturalistic crackling sound, are rather expensive and don’t disperse heat as well as fires created using logs and coal.
You obviously don’t want the fire pit to fall apart when you take it out of the box. However, a manufacturer’s warranty ensures you don’t lose your money, in case there’s a problem with its construction or parts, and you are not responsible for it.
With all this information about the types and features of outdoor fire pits to look out for, it should be much easier for you to make an informed purchase. Sometimes all this information may not help make a sensible selection because of the overwhelming range of outdoor fire pits in the market.
This is why these few outdoor fire pit reviews were compiled, to help you in making your final choice. You can go through the reviews to learn about the pros and cons of different outdoor fire pits, make comparisons and accordingly make a wise choice.