A vacuum cleaner is a gadget most people have at home. It’s somewhat bulky and can at times be cumbersome to use for small, quick cleaning tasks. This is when and why the stick vacuum is growing in need and popularity.
It is a sleeker version of the traditional vacuum cleaners and is ideal for cleaning carpets in busy, small households. They offer the benefit of increased flexibility as they need minimal functional space, are lightweight, bagless and run on rechargeable batteries.
While weak suction power was its most significant downside, the latest models now are as strong as traditional vacuum cleaners. And though they may not function well on thick, plush carpets, they are perfect for cleaning hardwood floors and area rugs.
Best Stick Vacuums 2018
|Best for hard flooring and area rugs||Corded|
|Electrolux Ergorapido||Designed for cleaning on and above your bare floors||
Deik Vacuum Cleaner
Сleaning of cars, upholstery, stairs, and other hard-to-reach spots
|Dibea C17||2 suctions to switch when vacuuming on different floor types||Cordless|
Dirt Devil SD20505
|The new Dirt Devil Power Air is perfect for quick pickups on hard floors and is easily stored in tight spaces||Corded|
Hoover Linx BH50010
|Multi-Floor Cleaning – Transitions from carpet to hard floors with ease||Cordless|
Perfect for stairs, carpets, rugs, hardwood floors, furniture
|Picks up all kinds of crumbs, pet hair, dust and even cat litter||Corded|
|Soft carbon fiber filaments remove dirt from carpets and fine dust from hardwood floors||
|The agile 5.5lbs body swivels around corners and table legs with ease, ensuring traditionally hard-to-reach areas remain spotless||
The Hoover SH20030 lightweight broom vacuum is perfect for spot cleaning and use in small homes and apartments. It’s easily maneuvered to clean under furniture and beds and reaches tight spaces thanks to its swiveling handle.
Its cord is 20 feet long; it weighs only 8.8 pounds (about half the weight of an upright vacuum) and has an easily folded handle for storage purposes. Though there are no hoses or attachments, the electric broom can clean high traffic areas like the kitchen and living room.
It, however, has a powered brush to clean carpets and edge cleaning bristles to clean dirty edges. Its Cyclonic Technology, non-marring wheels and full cleaner mouth simplifies cleaning of hard floors and area rugs.
As the Hoover SH20030 is affordably priced and has enough suction power to suck up dirt from any surface, it’s one of the best corded stick vacuums worth buying if you can’t afford a cordless one.
- Low profile and reclining handles provide for convenient cleaning under furniture and beds
- 20 feet power cord makes it ideal for cleaning small homes
- Its brush rolls have an on/off feature for minimal scratching while using on hard floors
- Smoothly transitions from cleaning hard floors to area rugs thanks to its Cyclonic Technology
- Swivel steering and non-marring wheels increases its maneuverability
- Thoroughly cleans edges with its edge cleaning bristles
- Wind tunnel technology minimizes carpet blowback and removes deeply embedded dirt
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Lightweight, very quiet but has strong suction power
- Affordably priced and perfect for quick pick-ups
- Can pick up pet hair from rugs
- No attachments like crevice tool for a more thorough cleaning
- Cord does not rewind on its own
- Not useful for cleaning filthy surfaces
- Absence of a switch on its handle is a bit inconvenient
- Small dust bag has to be constantly emptied after each cleaning
The Electrolux Ergorapido is as unique as its name is. This is a 2-in-1 cordless carpet sweeper you can use to give your house a thorough cleaning. It’s powered by a 10.8 V lithium ion battery that quickly charges to give you more than twenty minutes of use on a single charge.
While its motorized brush roll is ideal for cleaning bare floors, pressing a button detaches the handheld dust buster to use for cleaning stairs, crevices and flat surfaces. They are cleaned after attaching the dusting brush and crevice tool to the detachable handheld unit.
Its 180° EasySteer Maneuverability feature makes it so easy to turn and twist the electric sweeper broom to clean nooks and corners. And as it’s lightweight and bagless, it’s easily carried throughout the home from room to room, and up and down stairs.
There is no additional charging stand to take up extra storage space, and its extra crevice tool and dusting brush are conveniently stored in the handle after use. The Ergorapido’s cyclonic system provides consistent suction power while cleaning your home.
- A detachable 2-in-1 vacuum cleaner
- Motorized brushroll cleans bare floors while handheld dust buster unit cleans above the floor
- The broom vacuum can run for as long as twenty minutes on a single charge, enough to clean medium or small homes
- Charges without a charging stand
- Optimal cleaning thanks to its lithium-ion power battery
- Bagless and lightweight enough to easily carry around
- Easily stored in minimal space
- Cyclonic technology provides constant cleaning power
- Handle stores crevice tool and dusting brush after use
- 180° easy maneuverability to clean around and under furniture
- High-performance Li battery charges four times faster
- Runs on other similar lithium batteries if the battery gets damaged
- No safety switch or light on portable unit
- Battery can get easily damaged
- Not meant for cleaning large floors
The Deik cordless upright stick vacuum cleaner is flexible and lightweight at 4.7 pounds to use for a thorough cleaning of your home. It provides sufficient power for a complete clean without changes in its maneuverability around tight corners and furniture.
This is not just an electric broom but converts into a portable vacuum at the press of a button. The portable unit has a crevice tool and brushes for cleaning small messes, upholstery, vehicles, steps and tight areas.
It can clean area rugs and low pile carpeting after cleaning hard flooring just by pushing a button. Its upholstery tool has soft rubber edges that prove helpful at lifting and removing not only dust but also pet hair from sofas and other upholstery.
- Cordless, weighs only 4.7 lbs and easily maneuvered around tight spots and furniture
- Provides enough power for a thorough and deep clean
- A single charge lasts more than twenty minutes, enough to clean an entire floor
- Easy to empty dust cup
- Can be used either as an upright vacuum cleaner or detachable portable unit at the touch of a button
- Comes with additional attachments like crevice tool, upholstery tool, and stiff brush
- Multi-floor cleaning feature let you clean both hard floors and area rugs and carpets at the touch of a button while moving from room to room
- HEPA filtration unit locks minute particles other vacuums dispel into the air to prevent the spread of allergies and bacteria
- Affordably priced with an AC power adapter, wall mount bracket for convenient storage, instruction manual and 12 months warranty
- Not so efficient at vacuuming bathroom rugs.
- Complaints of scratching hardwood floors
- Complaints of poor suction capabilities
The Dibea C17 2-in-1 portable cordless Stick handheld vacuum cleaner weighs just 5 pounds and is perfect for quick cleaning around the house. Advanced noise control technology produces practically no noise while cleaning the house.
Two suction options to select from and use to vacuum different floor types. Swivel steering and lay-flat handle make maneuvering around the house, tight corners and around furniture so easy.
Cordless and bagless in design, it’s easily switched to a portable vacuum cleaner by pressing a button. Its wall docking station has a dual function and benefit. It’s used for quick recharging and provides for easy storage.
The handheld’s crevice tool and stiff brush help clean stairs, tight spots, upholstery, and cars. Its 2200 mAh Li-ion battery charges in 4-5 hours to power for forty minutes in Eco mode or on low speed and twenty-five minutes of continuous power on high speed.
- Lightweight at 5 pounds and easily maneuvered around tight spots and furniture as needed with its swivel steering and lay-flat handle
- Two suction modes to select and use while vacuuming different floor types
- Advanced noise control technology with minimal noise
- Touching a button detaches the handheld unit to use for cleaning cars, stairs, upholstery and other tight spots
- 2200 mAh Li-ion battery takes 4-5 hours to charge to provide 40 minutes of power in Eco mode or low speed and 25 minutes of continuous power or high speed
- Wall charging bracket useful for quick recharging and convenient storage
- Comes with a wall charging base and screws for installing, bristle brush, crevice tool and one year warranty
- Cleans with a single pass and its soft roller brush makes no scratches on hard floors
- Ergonomically designed handle makes usage easy
- Complaints of poor construction with pieces made of cheap plastic
- Complaints of battery not lasting for more than five minutes even after overnight recharge
- Some complaints of poor suction power
The Dirt Devil Corded Bagless Stick vacuum is just what you need for quick pickups instead of lugging out your large, traditional vacuum cleaner. All thanks to its cyclonic filtration system and easy maneuverability from one room to another.
The electric sweeper broom weighs less than 7 pounds but has a powerful 10 amp motor that produces constant, powerful suctioning. Cleaning under furniture is also so much easier thanks to its low profile nozzle.
The Dirt Devil is also easy to store, even in minimal space. Its bagless feature means that there are no hassles of cleaning any bags. It instead has a dirt cup at the back of the electric broom that collects dust and is easily emptied with the touch of a button.
Though corded, the cord measures 20 ft, which is long enough to clean average sized rooms without changing multiple power points. And with its 11-inch cleaning path, vacuuming work is completed is done so much faster as you can perform the chore with fewer passes.
- Cyclonic filtration with 10 amp motor gives constant suctioning power to clean through any mess
- Lightweight at just 6.67 pounds for easy maneuverability
- Low profile nozzle helps clean under furniture and crevices
- No bags to empty, just a dirt cup to unload with the touch of a button
- 20 ft long means there’s no need for continually changing power outlets
- Streamline in design and perfect for spot cleaning especially messes in kitchens
- Easily stored in minimal space
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- Best stick vacuum for hardwood floors and large area rugs
- Not meant for use on tiled floors as it only blows dust around
- Some complaints of metal handle not fitting right
The Hoover Linx BH50010 is a cordless broom vacuum with interchangeable Lithium-ion batteries that provides continuous vacuuming power to clean anywhere you want. It’s the only vacuum cleaner with cyclonic filtration and WindTunnel Technology where it removes debris and rooted dirt using three suction channels.
Cleaning multi-floors is a cinch with the Hoover Linx as it quickly transitions from carpet to hard flooring. Even cleaning underneath furniture and nooks and corners is no longer a challenge with its low profile base and reclining handle. It’s also easy to remove dirt, dust and pet hair in tight edges using its edge cleaning bristles.
The Hoover Linx cleans more area with each pass, helping you complete your vacuuming faster by covering more surface area. Its power controls are also conveniently placed at your fingertips, and there’s even a gauge indicating how much of battery power the Linx has left. And as the broom vacuum is bagless, there’s no chore of emptying bags after vacuuming. Pressing a button releases its dirt cup located at its bottom.
- Interchangeable Li-ion batteries provide for fade-free battery power
- Only electric broom offering cyclonic filtration and WindTunnel Technology features
- Effortless transitioning from carpets to hard floors
- Easily cleans under furniture and counter edges thanks to its low profile base and reclining handle
- Has a two-year limited warranty
- Clear canister shows how much dirt is sucked and is easily emptied by pressing a button
- It’s edge cleaning bristles remove dirt, pet hair and dust from walls and corners
- Power buttons at your fingertips
- Quicker cleaning with its full cleaning path
- Gauge showing battery life
- Battery takes 3 hours to recharge and lasts about 40 minutes on a full charge
- Pet and human hair gets easily entangled in its rollers
- Battery is charged in a separate battery charger as there’s no docking station
- Has no attachments, not even a suctioning wand
The VonHaus 2-in-1 corded vacuum cleaner has a 19.5 feet cord, long enough to function as a conventional vacuum cleaner. It also functions as a handheld cleaner upon detaching it from the central unit with the press of a button. The lightweight handheld vacuum is useful for removing dirt from furnishings, drapes, and edges using its crevice tool and small brush attachments.
Its dust canister also has a 1.3 liter capacity, meaning it is emptied less frequently than other models. With its HEPA and sponge filtered system, minute dust particles that are usually re-circulated into the atmosphere is locked in to contain allergies and bacteria.
The electric sweeper broom runs on a 5.5 amp motor to produce 130 Air watts of suction power. Its suction power is excellent and perfect for effortless gliding over various surfaces like stairs, furniture, carpets, hardwood floors, and rugs.
- Produces 130 air watts of suction power
- Can be used as a corded traditional vacuum cleaner or a cordless handheld unit
- Easy to empty 1.3 liter detachable dust canister holds more dirt, to provide for extended cleaning periods
- HEPA filtration system prevents small particles from re-circulating into the atmosphere to spread bacteria and allergies
- Quick release 19.5 feet power cord
- Crevice tool, small brush attachment and extension tube for use with the handheld unit
- Cleaning with the portable vac is made less stressful with its shoulder strap
- Affordably priced
- Versatile enough to use to clean stairs, upholstery, and floors
- Telescopic wand height can be adjusted to accommodate your needs and is detached upon pressing a button
- Stands alone and can be easily stored away without fear of tipping over
- No built-in lock for attachments
- No power cord rewind feature- the cord has to be manually wound
- Accessories are made of plastic and may crack with extra pressure
- Rather noisy
The Dibea corded 2-in-1 bagless vacuum is the best stick vacuum for pet hairs. Its powerful suction efficiently picks up not only crumbs but pet hair and even cat litter from most floor types like marble, tile, and hardwood in an entire bedroom, kitchen or living room.
As its ultra lightweight at 4.6 pounds and it has adjustable swivel steering and a non-slip handle, it easily cleans around and under furniture. There’s even an LED front light to help clean dark spaces like under furniture and nooks and corners.
The Dibea stick vacuum has a big 1.0 liter dirt cap that’s easily emptied and disassembled for cleaning purposes. And with its 19.7 feet quick release power cord, cleaning can be done with a single pass. The crevice tools clean edges and crevices while the machine vacuums carpets after sliding the suction adjustment button.
The vacuum cleaner has an advanced cyclone HEPA filtration system that disperses minute particles from the motor to maintain the motor’s powerful suction capabilities. This helps reduce allergies and bacteria in the air, making it ideal for cleaning up where there are pets and children.
- Powerful suction efficiently picks up pet hair, dust, and crumbs from most floors
- large dirt cup is easily removed, emptied and disassembled to clean
- Faster vacuuming in a single pass with its 19.7 feet quick release power cord and crevice tool
- Ultra lightweight at 4.6 pounds with non-slip handle
- Swivel steering increases its maneuverability for cleaning around and under furniture
- LED front light helps clean dark spots
- Advanced HEPA filtration system disperses minute particles to reduce allergies and bacteria
- Perfect for use in homes with pets and children
- Comes with a 12-month quality warranty
- Pet hair doesn’t get stuck because of no-brush roll design
- Tends to overheat after 10 minutes
- Clean out latch keeps opening upon bumping against something
- Poor suctioning
- Can scratch hardwood and slate floors as there are no brushes on its bottom
The Dyson DC 59 cordless slim vacuum cleaner runs on the Dyson V6 motor that spins faster than traditional motors to a maximum of 110,000 times a minute. Its 350W motor produces thrice the suction power of any cordless vacuum with 15 cyclones strategically placed in two rows.
The cyclones work together to capture microscopic dust and are designed to facilitate better flow of air and generate high centrifugal forces. Dyson’s lightweight motorized cleaner head has a brush bar with carbon fiber filaments that remove tiny hair, and nylon bristle strips that remove deeply embedded dirt from carpets. Its V Ball technology comes with a V ball located near the head for better steering without awkward moves.
The Dyson stick vacuum also has a mini motorized accessory used for the difficult job of extracting hair and dirt from hard-to-reach spaces and upholstery. An integrated accessory converts from a nozzle to a dusting brush while crevice tool is useful for cleaning tight and narrow spots. Detachable wands and tools are helpful for cleaning stairs and inside cars or boats.
With its run-time enhancing trigger, you can switch it on and off as needed. As the grip releases instantly, the battery is used only for cleaning and gives 26 minutes of cleaning, with 6 minutes on boost. And with its re-engineered Ni-Mn cobalt battery, the DC 59 provides the machine with a fade-free power that is 1.5 times more powerful than its predecessors.
- Fuelled by the mighty V6 Dyson digital motor that spins at 110,000 rpm
- 350W motor produces thrice the power of other cordless vacuums
- Ergonomically designed and sucks as much dirt as conventional vacuums but without a cord
- Comes with a two year part and labor warranty
- 2 row radial cyclones technology where 15 cyclones work in parallel across two rows
- Cyclones capture fine dust with its increased airflow and high centrifugal forces
- 100% motorized cleaner motor head with bristles driving deeper into carpets
- Dust capture channel prevents backflow of dust to facilitate better pick-up of dirt
- Improved and flexible steering with its improved V-Ball technology
- Run-time enhancing trigger ensures battery is used only for cleaning
- Boost mode provides a maximum of 6 additional minutes of increased suction power
- Docking station used for charging and storing extra tools and attachments
- Transparent bin shows when it needs emptying
- Easily clogs and switches motor off
- Crevice attachment does not produce much suction power
- Poor customer support
The Eufy HomeVac is a lightweight, upright, powerful cordless vacuum that saves time and energy by cleaning in a single pass. Its large 2200 mAh Li-ion battery provides 50 minutes of cordless vacuuming on Eco Mode and 22 minutes of high power cleaning.
It weighs only 5.5 pounds and is easily carried around to clean corners, under tables, up the stairs and tight spots. Its maneuverable swivel head has LED pivots for more thorough cleaning around table legs and under furniture.
Centrifugal forces keep the motor unclogged by keeping dust away for constant and powerful suctioning. The Eufy HomeVac keeps your home spotlessly clean with its two filters and single high-performance filter that traps dirt and releases minimal dust back into the air while cleaning.
Cleaning up after vacuuming is easy as its 0.9 liter dust holder is easily detached and emptied into the trash without any dirtying of hands or the floor. Storing after use is also easy as the powerful but thin dust buster stands upright and comfortably fits into closet spaces.
- Single pass powerful suction cleaning to save time and energy
- Stands upright and slim enough to fit into closets
- Weighs only 5.5 pounds and easily carried around the house and stairs
- Maneuverable swivel head with LED pivots easily rotates around furniture
- Massive 2200 mAh Li-ion battery provides 50 minutes of vacuuming on Eco Mode and 22 minutes of high power cleaning
- 9 liter dust canister holds more dirt and easily detaches to empty dirt and debris into the trash
- Vacuum cleaner includes wall mount and mounting accessories, AC power adapter and instruction manual
- Has a 15-month warranty
- Friendly customer support
- Uses double filters to prevent minute particles from returning to atmosphere
- Complaints of suction going weak with usage
- Light stops working after some time
Types of handstick vacuum cleaners
There are two types of broom vacuums with their pros and cons. They are cordless and corded versions which use battery packs, or power cords to function.
As the name indicates, these vacuum cleaners have a cord and are continuously powered by a power outlet. You needn’t worry about charging or even buying batteries, and you can use it to clean for as long as required. As these machines are plugged into power outlets, their suctioning power easily picks up dirt and debris. They are also usually less expensive than the cordless versions.
The problem is that sometimes the cord can limit your cleaning abilities. You may not be able to clean some parts of your home as it’s too short to reach some places. And as it’s plugged into a power socket, you won’t be able to use it in areas without power sockets.
Besides, it may not prove useful for vacuuming some places like the stairs, and the cord may limit and restrict your cleaning prowess too. As it is the cord length which determines your working radius, choose a model with a long cable.
These carpet sweepers offer the flexibility of not having any power cords to lug around while cleaning your home. This means it’s much easier and faster for you to move and clean around things, even stairs. You can start cleaning once its battery is fully charged, and there’s no need to worry about having a power outlet.
However, the drawback of cordless stick vacuums is that it’s not as powerful as its corded counterparts. And you can vacuum only with a charged battery, or else you have to wait for it to get charged before using it.
A fully charged battery can just work for about twenty minutes, and there’s the chore of buying replacement batteries. So you need to consider the machine’s runtime and how long it takes to charge before buying one.
Carpet sweepers with a short battery life and which need lots of time to charge will not prove a worthy investment. With some searching you may find some models that provide 40 minutes of cleaning time on a single charge.
So you see, both versions have their pros and cons. You have to choose based on your preferences and needs. If you want something sturdy, then a corded version is the better option. But if you want something flexible enough to use around the house without worrying about cords or power outlets, then you should look for the best cordless stick vacuum.
Features to consider while buying a carpet sweeper
There’s not much point investing in an expensive electric broom if you can’t afford it as these vacuums are not as long lasting as traditional vacuums. You will anyway most probably have to replace them every few years.
- Weight and portability
Electric sweeper brooms are portable and easy to use thanks to their compact and lightweight design. They weigh on an average, between two to five pounds. No point buying a heavy or bulky machine as it’s difficult to handle and store away.
The primary purpose of buying a broom vacuum is to use something easily managed by one hand to reach hard to reach areas. So look for something light and is easily carried around. Look for uniformly designed models that are so light and well-balanced to clean even the top of curtains. Also sometimes bottom heavy are better options as they are easier to steer than top-heavy models.
Cordless electric brooms depend on its battery, so you need to check its battery life. Unless you plan to use the carpet sweeper for all your vacuuming needs, batteries that last for a few years on average use is more than satisfactory.
The battery will lose its charging abilities with time, and this is when buying a new carpet sweeper may be a better option than buying a new battery. So check the warranty battery before buying it. Also do find out how long the battery lasts with each use as most batteries generally last forty minutes once fully charged.
Don’t assume that just because electric brooms are smaller and less powerful than traditional vacuum cleaners that they don’t make noise. They do make noise, but it’s less than their larger counterparts. So if the sound is a bother while vacuuming, then look for a quiet model.
- On/off switch
Yes, this is a feature to reckon with as some models require that you keep holding onto its trigger while using the broom vacuum. This can strain your finger which is why an on/off switch is a welcome feature.
- Charging dock
While the broom vacuum’s stick needs a battery, its handheld part is usually chargeable on its charging dock. Some models come with a wall mountable charging dock that also stores all its accessories in one place.
Most electric sweeper brooms come with one or two filtration layers for filtering dust particles, and which are easily removed, cleaned and replaced. In fact, it’s the level of filtration that defines how fit the vacuum is for professional or commercial use. If you are allergic to dust or want a thorough cleaning, look for professional quality models with HEPA filters.
- Strong suction power
No matter how flexible and compact the broom vacuum’s cleaning head may be, the suction power comes from its motor. The electric broom should have enough suction power to pick up all types of messes like pet hair, dust bunnies, and debris bits. If you want a machine to clean heavy traffic areas or thick carpeting, select brands known for heavy cleanings like Dyson and Bissell.
- Cord length
Corded models should have long power cords, at least 20 feet long to clean a studio apartment or small flat. However, you can opt for a vacuum with a shorter power cord if you plan to use it only for small cleaning jobs. Besides the length, look for a model with a compact and uncomplicated cord storage system.
- Nozzles and attachments
Most carpet sweepers don’t have side hoses or accessories. There are just some professional models that come with various brush heads to use for cleaning various surfaces with different levels of cleanliness.
It’s better to look for a model with necessary attachments like an upholstery tool, a crevice tool and a dusting brush if you plan to use the broom vacuum to clean furniture and upholstery.
Choose the unit’s nozzle size based on your intended usage. Broad nozzles lead to fewer passes to clean while narrower spouts easily reach through tight spaces and around furniture.
- Floor surface
Choose your hand stick vacuum cleaner based on your home flooring as it’s not suited to clean entirely tiled, wood or carpeted floors. They are more useful for small cleaning jobs, especially the hard to reach areas. And as they don’t have high suction power, there’s the chance of dirt and debris remaining behind.
The unique feature of transitioning between flooring types is the highlight of broom vacuums. This is attributed to it not having a massive, cleaning head but a more straightforward, streamlined head that smoothly transitions between carpets and smooth floors.
A model with powered brushes is ideal for cleaning carpets while machines without brushes are a better buy if you want to use it on hard floors. If your home has both types of flooring, look for a model where the brushes can be turned on while cleaning carpets and turned off while cleaning hard flooring. As wood flooring is not included in smooth floors, it’s always better to check the list of surfaces the vacuum safely cleans to prevent unnecessary damage.
- Battery runtime
The battery life per charge is an important feature to check in electric sweeper brooms. It should give at least 12 minutes of intense use per charge where the high-end models may provide a maximum of 20 minutes of power.
So if you want to use the carpet sweeper to clean small areas and touch-ups, then budget models with a short run time is enough. However, if you plan to use it to clean entire floors, then a professional or high-end model or a corded model is a better buy.
- Portable 2-in-1 vacuum cleaners
Many broom vacuums are used as a handheld vacuum for greater reach and a thorough floor cleaning just by detaching the handle. As most carpet sweepers today have a detachable unit, it’s now considered a standard feature.
It’s handy for cleaning nooks and corners but may not be that useful for people with mobility problems. As some brands are expensive because of the detachable option, it’s better considering if you need a hand-held vacuum cleaner before buying it.
The machine’s design defines how well it uses its power and if any other parts help remove dirt and debris. Electric brooms with cyclonic suction are not necessarily more powerful but do have better airflow and offer stable power than machines with straight suction. The cleaning head’s design also determines the suction strength. This is why having a high-powered motor is not that useful if the machine’s head loses lots of suction.
Storage is an essential feature for broom vacuums for most people as they buy it mainly for its convenient storage and usage when needed. Corded machines should have either a rewind system or a spot to wrap and store the cord.
Cordless versions should have a convenient storage base like a wall mounting unit or be easily stored in a cabinet or cupboard. While foldable parts are easy to store in minimal space, broom vacuums with attachments should have storage space for the accessories.
- Cleaning area
It is better buying traditional vacuums if you want to clean your entire home without any power inhibiting problems. Electric sweeper brooms are better used to clean small homes and spot cleaning, and not as the primary cleaning tool. It is better buying a replaceable battery if you have a cordless model as a backup if the existing battery drains out.
- Reviews and ratings
With so many handstick brands and models to choose from, it’s worth checking out online reviews to get an idea of how well a model works and if it is worth investing.
Additional features worth having
- Pet hair brush
If you have pets, look for an electric sweeper brooms designed with features for pets. It should have brushes in the cleaning head and an additional turbo tool or some pet attachment like a pet hair brush.
- Easily emptied canister
Electric brooms are now bagless where dirt cups collect debris and are easy to clean. There is however still a few brands and models that still use bagged systems.
- Canister capacity
While these small carpet sweepers can’t hold much dirt, a model that can collect only minimal dirt is not worth buying. You will have to waste lots of time emptying and re-attaching the canister.
- On/off brush roll
This is a useful feature to have if you need to clean various floor types. The brush roll just has to be turned off while cleaning hard floors and turned on for cleaning area rugs and carpets.
- Wet and dry use
Some models can suck up small amounts of liquid (150ml), which is enough to clean up spills. However, remember to clean the in-built bin and filter after using it to suck fluids and do not suck up more liquid than its indicated level.
- Fallout flap
It’s common for people to carry broom vacuums with its nozzle facing downwards while cleaning in-between spaces. The presence of a fallout flap prevents dirt from falling out, and thus stops you from doing any additional cleaning work.
No matter how reliable the manufacturer may be, it’s always good to have a warranty’s protection as even the most reliable model have occasional faulty machines.
The broom vacuum’s ergonomics define how comfortable the machine is when in use. You’ll be grateful for models with ergonomic handles and power controls higher on the handle as you needn’t bend over frequently to turn the machine on and off, or to switch attachments.
There are many excellent carpet sweeper brands to select. Shark vacuum cleaners top the list in customer ratings with Dyson coming in close behind. The Swedish brand Electrolux has models with innovative features while Bissell and Hoover offer high-quality carpet sweepers. Dirt Devil, VonHaus and Eureka also provide various stick models and are significant contenders with its budget flexibility.
Black & Decker, LG, and Monster are other significant providers where their units cost anywhere between $300 to $400. Miele, however, is a niche company with their extreme allergy controlled machines.
There are also quite a few smaller providers you can look out for with great deals on their handstick vacuum cleaners. Just use the internet to find out all you can about the brands through reviews and their websites before buying anything.
The less powerful broom vacuum cleaners are cheaper than traditional units, costing anywhere between $200 and $900, depending on the brand and model. There are even electric sweeper brooms costing less than $200 if you are looking for a budget option.
Benefits of buying a stick vacuum
There are many benefits of purchasing a carpet sweeper, even if you already own a conventional vacuum cleaner.
- They are light, compact and more comfortable to use for spot-cleaning spills and stains than traditional machines. Most weigh less than ten pounds which is why they are also easily maneuverable to clean tight spots and are easy to store.
- Electric brooms are cheaper than traditional vacuum cleaners because of less powerful motors, compact build and because they usually don’t have attachments or accessories.
- Perfect for quick cleanups of high traffic areas before guests come, and for cleaning in between regular household cleaning days.
- Their compact build makes it easy to store, especially if you live in small houses or apartments. Some models save more space with its wall mount while some models are light enough to store on closet shelves and pantry.
- Electric sweeper brooms are extremely easy and quick to use with its lightweight and upright design and added technologies. For example, many have motorized brushes that increase cleaning potential and maneuverability while other models have dirt cups that are easily detached and emptied. Their upright build and height adjustable design prevents unnecessary fatigue and strain to your back.
- Most broom vacuums are quieter than their conventional counterparts.
- Carpet sweepers offer the benefit of versatility as most are cordless so there are no hassles of power cords and changing multiple power points. Most can also be converted into portable units to clean around table legs, crevices and under furniture easily.
Broom vacuums are indeed worth having at home. It’s useful for spot cleaning in large houses, cleaning in between regular cleaning days and can easily be used for cleaning small flats at home. They are lightweight and most come with a detachable unit to use to clean hard-to-reach spots, upholstery, stairs and even vehicles.
With so many types of carpet sweepers available, making the right choice can be difficult. This is why this buying guide provides useful information to help you choose the best stick vacuum. Besides, the many corded and cordless stick vacuum reviews below help you make your choice by giving you an idea about the working of different popular models and brands.